Information on this subject is often delivered in a “let’s scare the crap out of everyone” fashion! I’m not going to do that – I will simply give you a few things to think about and then the choice is totally yours.
As a teenager I had quite spotty skin. It was only when I discovered a skincare range that was hypoallergenic and fragrance-free, that I realised that I had been struggling with sensitive skin. In those days you had to really search out these safer products but nowadays there are so many choices.
Some 15 years ago I was introduced to a network marketing company called Neways – “a perfect blend of science and nature”. As much as I loved the products I quickly found out that neither network marketing or selling was for me. However the knowledge gained and the philosophy behind the products has stayed with me. Why would I put potentially harmful chemicals onto my skin when I cared so much about having a healthy lifestyle and diet? Also, since my children had been tiny I had given them a healthy diet and used natural remedies for their ailments so this was an obvious choice for all of us. Surely, plant based, natural products are what we should be reaching for?
- 98% of skincare products on the market contain harsh ingredients that can cause skin irritations
- There are concerns that parabens (used as preservatives) have the ability to mimic oestrogen and therefore disrupt hormonal balance in men and women.
- Sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) & Sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) are well known in the scientific community as common skin irritants.
- Titanium dioxide (used in moisturiser and sun-block) has been scientifically classified as possibly carcinogenic to humans.
- Aluminium (widely used in antiperspirants and antacids) has been linked to Alzheimer’s.
- Material Safety Data Sheets for propylene glycol warn that the substance may be toxic to the central nervous system.
- Fragrances used in healthcare products are rarely natural. They are more likely to be a cocktail of chemicals.
Many of these substances are commonly found in the products that you are using every day. They are being absorbed through the skin and into your bloodstream. They are then carried all around the body. If they are not excreted by the liver they can be stored in tissue. Eventually these toxic chemicals could upset the immune system and hormonal balance.
Some of my favourite brands – (and you don’t need to spend a fortune!) Faith in Nature, Green People, Jason, Lavera, Neals Yard, Herbfarmacy & Barefoot.